The MBSO underwater pumpkin carving contest is an annual event. We will meet at San Carlos
beach at 8:30. You have to bring your own pumpkin and carving tools. We will then buddy up and
everyone is free to choose their dive spot and depth with her/his dive buddy. Then it is time to hit the
water for some pumpkin carving. After the dive we will line the pumpkins up and begin the judging.
Judging will be friendly amongst us and any passer-byers who wish to choose their favorites. There
will be a small prize for the winner.
Here are the rules:
• Bring your own pumpkin and carving tools. It must be at least 6 inches in diameter.
•All carving must be done underwater. Carving includes drawing, removing the insides, or poking holes into the pumpkin. Underwater is not at home in your kitchen sink either. It is the sandy bottom of the ocean at San Carlos beach. You cannot draw on your pumpkin ahead of time but if you ambitious you may use an underwater stencil.
• You may make a small hole, no more than a 1⁄2 inch, on the top and bottom of the pumpkin, to
allow air to escape.
• Judging will be done amongst ourselves and any passersby who wish to look.
• You must have the top of your pumpkin to be entered for judging, so do not lose it underwater.
• Keep it safe. We may be playing with sharp devices underwater. Please take this into account
when positioning yourself to carve your pumpkin. An additional pound of lead can help you to
stay safely on the ground.
• The finished pumpkin may not be adorned with items found in and around the ocean, ie
RSVP if you are coming on the MBSO Facebook page or by email to email@example.com, and meet at picnic tables overlooking the beach.